We’ve tried a few different business models during 2012, for this glorious software of ours, and we’re going to try just one more.
Here’s how it works:
- You pay whatever you think is appropriate. (“Pay what you want” is always fun.)
- Once the payment is complete you will be taken to a download page.
- On that download page you will be able to download every piece of software here (Linux Tycoon, Illumination Software Creator… all of it).
- Everything is DRM free.
- Everything runs on Linux, Mac & Windows.
When this idea was first pitched to me… I thought “That… sounds terrible. I hate this idea.”
Then I thought about it some more. And now I think it just plain rocks. Here’s why:
- There is no need for DRM.
- It does away with the need for upgrade fees (as new versions would require a downloader to pay again).
- Since there is no DRM, the downloader can archive any version (or multiple versions) locally in case they don’t want to pay for future downloads.
- You only have to fork over cash for versions and updates you actually want.
- The price is “Pay What You Want”. Combine that with #4 and you get a system that could be significantly cheaper than paying for individual version upgrades or subscriptions.
- The download page will only expire every few weeks. Making it easy for you to come right back and download again in case you misplaced an installer or need to install on a different machine.
Maximum flexibility. Minimum price. Respect for content consumers. Support for content producers.
And now, if you would like to download, here is the place to go.
Now, what if you’ve picked up a copy of any of this software, over the last few months? Don’t worry. We love you guys. We’ll be emailing download links to you shortly.