I have officially retired from the Linux Action Show

Roughly 6 years ago, I started the Linux Action Show with my good buddy, Chris Fisher.

And it has been an absolute blast to do.

This show is, very much, my baby (really, our baby).  The show has enabled me to meet some amazing people — and make some great friends.  It is not lost on me that I am where I am at today thanks, in large part, to the work we have done on the Linux Action Show.

As I leave the show… I can say with absolute certainty that it is, without a doubt, to highest quality show in the Linux and Open Source world.

But it is time for me to move on.

This was a difficult decision to come to — but it is clear to me to that it is the right one.  In fact, I no longer have any ownership of, or involvement with, the Jupiter Broadcasting network whatsoever.  [My 50% stake in the network is now controlled by Chris.]

So why did I make this decision?

It isn’t about money.  [I've never actually made any money from the Linux Action Show or Jupiter Broadcasting... I think the last time it resulted in revenue for me was maybe 2 or 3 years back to the tune of a hundred bucks.  For the entire year.  Heck, I think I've spent more money on gear alone than I ever made from the network.  But I didn't start this to make a billion dollars from ad revenue.]

And it isn’t about time.  [Though that would be a pretty reasonable reason.  Over the years, thousands of hours have been invested into the show and the network.  And freeing up that time for other projects is certainly logical.]

And it isn’t because me and Chris are mortal enemies.  [Quite the opposite.  Hell.  The man was one of the groomsmen in my wedding.  He's my bud.  And that's all there is to that.]

No.  The real reason is much simpler than any of that: It’s just time.

When we created the show, it was because we wanted to see a show like it — and nobody was making it.

Now it’s time to do something else.

101 Responses to “I have officially retired from the Linux Action Show”

1. Aaron says:

Salut, Bman. You will be missed.

Please don’t rule out a ‘Beer Is Tasty’ reunion, however.

2. Matthew Page says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    j/k Good luck to you B-man, I’ve enjoyed watching and learning so much from you via LAS, and look forward to seeing some awesome projects cranked out from you in the future. We’ll all miss you.

3. Nick Read says:

You will definitely be missed. Hopefully you can still make time for guest appearances whenever it’s time to do a Fedora review :p

Are you sure it’s not because Chris is being too negative in the freedom dimension?

4. AJ says:

You will _definitely_ be missed. I found LAS toward the end of your first year, and it is the only podcast I have stuck with. Other podcasts come and go (most after a few episodes), but the latest episode of LAS is always on my media player. And that in large part has been because of you, Bryan. It’s been a great 6 years. Thank you!

5. crshbndct says:

Sad to see you go man. :(

I just want to say thank you for everything you have done, and best wishes for the future.

Stay excellent and party on, dude.

6. revdjenk says:

I caught my first LAS show by accident. As I was listening to this audio version, I was mystified by your voice. To me it sounded like the same voice of the “Ask a Ninja” guy. I sought out more of The Big Show because I wanted to uncover the truth.
    Ah, it turned out you weren’t THAT Ninja, nor any nondescript ninja … just an hilarious, boisterous voice for my new (at the time) OS.
    I’ll miss the “Aaaaall this week, on the Leeenix Ah-ction Sho-ah.

7. Russ W (K5TUX) says:

This is definitely a sad moment for me. It was your contributions and your interaction with Chris that made LAS the show that kept me entertained and informed for the past few years. I stuck through it even when most of my podcaster friends had decided LAS was past its prime and not worth listening to it anymore. Now I think I have to agree. Nothing against Chris, per se, it’s just that the chemistry WAS the show. I’ve heard a few episodes when you weren’t participating and the output was less than magical. So alas, your departure means my departure as a listener. Fare well, LAS and Bryan. I wish you all the best.

8. Lev Lazinskiy says:

Bryan,

I started watching the Linux Action Show earlier this year. I agree that it is the best that the linux and open source world has to offer. I look forward to it every week and hope to see it continue to be successful.

Honestly, I don’t think it will be the same without you. But understandably things happen, priorities change, and life goes on. I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors and thank you for the many years of entertainment and insight.

Best,

Lev

9. TRP says:

There goes my interest. Bman was the reason ive stuck with this particular show. Chris is great, but you TWO balanced it out to be the perfect show to keep interest…

10. TRP says:

That being said, good luck on your future endeavors.

11. Vardos says:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Russ W (KSTUX). I watched LAS because of the chemistry between you and Chris. That WAS the show. When you were missing, it just wasn’t the same show.

My guess is that your departure has to do with the uproar surrounding the RMS interview and the unfair criticism you received afterwards from the followers of the Church of Stallman.

I’ll probably give the show a few listens now and then to see if Chris can find someone suitable to co-host with but I can’t see anyone replacing you. Allen is great with TechSnap, but too dry for LAS and Matt is too agreeable with Chris to make the show interesting. Your commentary, whether I agreed with it or not, always made me laugh, usually uproariously, several times in the show.

I wish you the best and will always follow what you do with great interest. But, tonight, I’m very sad.

Sincerely,

A Fan

12. Tak says:

I’m in a state of shock! No offense to Matt or Christ, but my LAS life that lasted for 4~5 years now has ended. It was the chemistry between Christ and Bryan that made the show stand out in the Internet world. Just sad…
    My wife and I are sick of the garbage on TV. So the only thing we watch on Sunday night usually has been the LAS. Bryan, you are so sorely missed! Regardless, God bless you, Bryan. I’m praying for you and your fam.

13. Andy says:

14. Charlie Barkin says:

sorry to hear that mate.
    But what ever your decisions, we support you.
    Don’t stop using Linux. Help support the Free and Open Source Movement.
    Help us stop Bogus Software Patents and Hardware Patents.

15. Alex Moore says:

Meh, you just don’t want to come on and own up to the steam predictions and google viruse screw up :p

Show simply wont be the show anymore with out you, said to hear. Have looked forward to it every week for years.

Said day for my corner of the internet.

16. David Farrant says:

Very sorry to see you go Bman. The chemistry between you and Chris is what made the show.

LAS was the yard stick to which all I measure all other podcasts, and now it doesn’t measure up to itself.

Take care bud, you gotta do what ya gotta do. You will be missed.

17. Martin says:

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear. But maybe it’s time for you. I will miss your awesome opening statements. And the energy you put into the show. Hopefully you will make some guest appearances.

Best of luck,
    Martin.

18. Dan says:

I still remember the first time I watched the original incarnation of your “Linux sucks” talk on Youtube. It was through that I was led to Jupiter Broadcasting and LAS. I’ve been a regular viewer for over 3 years and it’s been a treat to sit down and watch you guys each week.

For me, watching the show is one tiny part of what I’ll look back upon as defining a period in my life. Sadly, your departure signals the end of an era. I’ll probably drop by now and then to see what’s new with LAS, but it won’t be the same show without you.

Best of luck in your future endeavors. It’s been a pleasure getting to know you.
    Dan.

19. spaceinvader says:

Aw man! One of the things that I really liked of the show was the difference in the personalities (and opinions) of you two guys. The show now lacks of the “cool factor” that you have (Chris is cool but in a different way). Good luck to you B-man

20. Marco says:

If you go away a lot of people won’t watch the show.

I think the problem with Jupiter is that is making too many shows and having only ads isn’t enough.

You should focus just on producing one or two shows. Release 5 episodes a week but not for free!

You can make one episode of the week for free, choose the day that usually has the highest numbers of visitors. Use a tag line for the free show like: Monday Free Monday

And then instead of saying: goooooooooo dadddyyyy
    Say: We now make 5 shows a week. One will always be free and will be out on Monday(just a random one I’ve chosen) if you want to see the others just support us with a monthly fee of XYZ dollars.

21. Grelbar says:

Sad to se you go, Bman. As many have already stated, it was the yin and the yang between you and Chris that made the show good. With all due respect to Matt, he just doesn’t bring the same to the show.

Have a good one, and to quote a dude from another show (ohhh!), “Stay free, stay open source.”

22. Zoltan says:

Sad moment of LAS history. But time changing and people never will be the same. I think the best would be to stay in background, and sometimes as guest would be nice to jump in to make random bi-monthly subsections. Couln’t be? Hell, if linux so much sucks as you told us several times – who will put an healthy sarcasm to our face to remember us to change things or pay attention? Or you think Illumination software can help to reach the target, the missing parts that you addressed? Hope so, and still we can hear sometime about open source things from you…. Best wishes to you and your family.

23. mladjo2505 says:

No! The show will be a lot slower without you. You gave it some speed and a lot of humor.
    You will be on it from time to time though, will you?

24. Alex says:

Sucks!

The on-screen chemistry between you two was what started me watching LAS in the first place (didn’t even have a linux install prior to watching LAS!) and the show will be very greatly diminished without that. Massive negativity in the freedom dimension!

Seriously hope you are able to find the time to do some guest slots. old bean =)

Peace Bryan.

25. bananaoomarang says:

That’s a huge shame, Bryan. Best of luck in the future, I know I’ll miss you’re voice in my weekly routine, a lot!

26. Mario says:

Hey B Man,

Thanks for all those shows and even tough I’m sad for your desicion I do respect it.
    All the best and hope to see you popping up from time to time in the LAS.

Mario

27. kartlos says:

You will be greatly missed! LAS isn’t the same without you and probably never will.

28. Andy says:

Gutted. Simple as that. Gutted.

29. James D says:

“Oh no!” “A sad face!” “The saddest face!”

Your statement of “Now it’s time to do something else” has lead my mind down the irresistible garden path of conspiracy. Bryan, until you tell us otherwise, I will assume that you were bitten by a radioactive netbook and have now decided to dedicate your life to fighting crime and stupid patents.

30. Christoffer Andersson says:

When you write: “No. The real reason is much simpler than any of that: It’s just time.”

I read: “No. The real reason is much simpler than any of that: I hate my fans” =P

anyway, I found Jupiterbroadcasting and the Linux Action Show when I out of accident watched your “Linux Sucks…” seminars, and got hooked. Sad to see you go, but actually, I almost find it a bit strange that you stayed this long. Every Sunday (except for the occasional drug run), for 6 years, Thats a commitment.

Anyway, you will be missed, good luck with your new projects.

31. some guy says:

I remember when someone in the freenode #suse channel mentioned LAS, so I googled it, and heard your intro for the first time, and i was hooked instantly. As many others said, the chemistry between you and Chris was just working so well. So, Thanks B-Man for so many enjoyable hours of LAS. I wish you all the best with your own projects, future and family.

32. Carlos says:

Sad to see you leave, Bryan!!!!

BEST OF LUCK In THE FUTURE!!!!!!

33. David says:

I discovered LAS about 3 years ago. It was shortly after I discovered Linux itself. I’ve never looked back since then, and you’ve been a big part of that, a REALLY big part actually. It was like finding people who were as excited and nerdy about Linux as I was. And we all had a good time.

I admit I’m mystified as to why you’re leaving. I realize things have their time and place, but you and Chris together was just a PERFECT combination. You could have been the “Car Talk” of the Open Source community.

I hope you change your mind some day. But till then, good luck. My Debian based OS won’t be the same without you in the browser every Sunday.

34. ProjectMorris says:

The Saddest face…. indeed.

Have the CIA or Homeland people got to you?

Later dude…

Peter

35. Chris says:

Sad to see you go. I somewhat dont like Matt (Dont know why, but he isnt delivering “it” :) )
    So now i will only read the Shownotes.

36. dfrag says:

I’d only started watching LAS a few years ago due to a friend telling me to watch STOked (I didn’t know why, I didn’t play the game.) But I had always been into Linux but had been very isolated and did get involved with online communitys (because I HATE forums). LAS was my first connection to the Linux community and allowed me to find a few LAS fans in my local area.

Bryan, you have entertained me and informed me about so many things. Ive not always agreed with you but I understood you point of view. The show will not be the same with out you, but I will continue to follow you.

Thanks Bman!

37. manny says:

It was a great show indeed, You’ll be missed.

At least I hope you can keep doing the “why linux sucks and can do about it” every year :/

38. Fredo says:

Will you be doing anything else with Jupiter Broadcasting?

39. Denver P says:

Mate, you know i stay up till 3am (Austrian time) on mondays just to watch you guys!

I agreee soo much with some of these comments —
    you made this show! Its your ranting was that made me come to the show and made it soo interesting. I don’t know how much time this takes, but why not just turn up, host the show and leave..

you know what – screw it.. just get a add supported version of the show! I’ll watch it. Heck, i’m willing to donate for your time to host the show..

anyway, i’m giving the show a miss from here on.. well going back to reruns..

cheers…d

40. Chell says:

Thanks for the years of making a good quality show. Your perspective of a pro-user (I guess that’s how people call you when you prefer a tiling wm) towards the whole linux ecosystem was enlightening. Also your adventures of getting software distributed for linux was a nice insight in the way how the industry works. Chris and the rest of the team is doing a superb job, but your presence will be missed by many

ps. the intro’s brought a smile to my face… _every_ time!

41. Niels says:

Hmmm bad start of monday morning with the news you are quiting LAS. Thanks for the years making this show the best Linux talk B-men

42. Bill says:

Sorry to see you go! It won’t be the same, by a long shot. I echo all the above comments, all the nice ones, anyway. Good luck to the guys over at the LAS, they’ll need it. I like Alan and Chris, but there is big gaping hole over there now.

Good luck to everyone, hope all the changes are for the best.

43. David Greengas says:

Your enthusiasm has kept me listening! You will be missed. Bryan, can you please do one more stunt for the show? Perhaps get a motorcycle and goto the beach. Then create a huge ramp and jump over a large sea creature, preferably one with only cartilage.

Seriously, Chris should rename the show. It will never be the Linux Action Show without you.

44. Ben says:

Like everyone else has stated, you pretty much were the LAS in terms of entertainment. Unless Chris can find an amazing co-host outside of the current stable of Jupiter Broadcasting, I won’t be back.

I wish you all the best and I’ll keep supporting your work if you keep making it awesome.

Good luck!

45. Mark says:

I am gonna miss you on LAS…but I hope you take some of that time to maybe make some videos for your software and other topics. While LAS will lose a great host, maybe the best thing to come from this is a brand new format for The Lundukester!

46. Pearsson says:

I’ll hope to see you back at the big show someday, but please start making your own show or podcast because your opinions are awesome and often different from the main stream.

Wish you the best,

a fan from Sweeeden

47. Baumranger says:

Thanks Bryan!

You were such an important part in this show and I still can’t believe it. I’m actually not sure if I continue to watch the show because you and Chris were the show.
    Some how I knew this would come sooner or later. Your long absence (when was it last year or earlier this year?) was kind of the beginning and it was obvious that it would come to this.

To said you weren’t their for the Valve news. Chris said 2 weeks ago “The show we can announce that Valve is bringing the linux client will be one heck of a show” Last week there would have been the chance for this one last blow and actually I was really looking forward to hear your thoughts on this and how excited you would get about it.

I still hope you will be back at least once a year for the prediction show and that you stay around in the open source scene. Thank you for a really great show.

Baumranger

48. Chris says:

:( Sad, sad, sad. I’ve gotta say that you REALLY made LAS into something extremely enjoyable, and I don’t think it will ever be the same without you. Take care. I wish you well.

49. Tor says:

You will be greatly missed. I hope that you’ll return someday.

50. John says:

You and Chris made a good team and you will be missed. I’m especially going to miss your intro on the LAS!

51. Quentin says:

Without you, the show isn’t quite worth watching for me. ;(
    Chris is a very great host, but without you, it’s just not the same.

I hope you have lots of reunions and maybe make your own podcast? Even if it was just you in an audio-only version, once a month, I’d listen to it!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy not having to promote godaddy anymore. :D

52. Hankster says:

Hmmm love the show, but now not so much. I really hope history repeats itself ! :)

53. Kevin James Lausen says:

I am obviously like most sad 2 hear this news, although I am hardly shocked. This Season of LAS you were only on 1/2 of the time. I reserve the right to be wrong, but for me that is why I started becoming jaded. My roommate and I are dirt arse poo_(washing laundry by hand poo_). We bought ur software on rare occasions I did get work(not b/c we could afford the sacrifices, but 2 help support free software, and Internet broadcasting. I also used much of my spare time/effort on-line 2 promote you && the show(this makes me feel like my time was wasted, although it was probably just not the right time(possibly YET) 4 indie devs open-sourced on Linux. Maybe after Linux gaming gets ripped away from M$, and Linux has prime market share….:?
    4 the record: I will still continue watching/promoting jupiter~!!! Although my plans to someday go through from season one of LAS are gone…:/

54. Scott LaVigne says:

You gave the show the perspective of the most integral member of the linux community: the linux software developer. I decided to become a developer in college because of you and this show. I know it sounds cheesy, but you are a personal hero of mine, and I do hope you continue to kick proverbial butt in whatever big thing comes next.

55. Mollusk says:

Yeah it’s about that time Bryan. Time for me to find another show. Christ Bryan, why don’t you just ask us to prepare content for you? Do I have to seriously go on kickstarter and raise money just so you’ll stay another year? I’ll do it and people will donate so don’t think it’s over. This isn’t over Bryan…

P.S. Everyone! Please send this man some damn money. Don’t chicken out either. Goodnight

56. Mollusk says:

Oh, and for the record. I don’t like breakups through text. Be a man and do a farewell show. Just sayin….

57. Stefan says:

Sad but true: A negative impact in the entertainment dimension.

58. Unpronounceable says:

I just want to wish all the best to B-Man. It would be nice to do a farewell show. You can’t just move on without a farewell “party”!

59. Dylan says:

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do in the future!

Sad to see you go… but at the end of the day its your life and you decide what path to take. :)

60. Humanoid says:

Thanks for all the past shows and good luck for the future!

61. Trond says:

You were the negative in the boring dimension part of LAS, the part that probably will not be replaced.
    Good luck!
    Regards from Norway.

62. Maury says:

Fond memories of watching your antics LAS and Beer Is Tasty (I don’t even drink beer). Many times I was laughing so hard I was in tears. Now, it’s just tears. :(…

63. Tak says:

In expressing how sad I was to see you leave the LAS, I forgot to thank you for all the years of LAS production. I made a small donation on your paypal account as a token of my thanks. I just wanted to mention it because the money wasn’t for any of your great software, but for your contribution to the LAS.
    I encourage others to do the same too to express our gratitude for his contributions. (and I’m secretly hoping Bryan might change his mind or something too)

64. Bison says:

65. Chris S. says:

Is this, what, the 3rd time you quit the show, Bryan, or the fourth? ;)

66. coriolis says:

I actually cried “NOOOOOOOOOO!!!” in a crowded room when I heard Chris say that you were retiring from the show. Serious. I was sad. People were weirded out by me.

Best of luck with your new/old projects!

67. suli8 says:

i’m sad B man.

the show will never be the same. who is gonna do the intro.. ?
    the chemistry between you and chris made the show so special and funny.

R u sure? c’mooon. it’s 2 hours a week…. :(

68. Primefalcon says:

Suli this is kinda the second time he’s quit…. I doubt he really wanted to come back…. lost his creative juices due to the show being pirated lol

A big thanks for all the kind words, everyone. Makes a man feel all warm and squishy inside.

Chris S. & Primefalcon : I’ve never quit the show before. :) I *did* take a short sabbatical in 2011. But that was a temporary thing.

70. nd says:

Good luck B-Man…. It was your personal style of humor and wit that hooked me into LAS. I will miss it — keep us informed of any video appearances you may make for the Linux community (ex: “why linux sucks”)… Never give up! never surrender!

71. Dave says:

Loved your contribution to the show. But I have to respectfully disagree with some who have posted here. I will continue to watch the show in whatever format Jupiter Broadcasting chooses to present it because has been, and I believe, will continue to be, one of the best Linux podcasts on the web. You will be missed B-Man. But the show must go on.

72. Primefalcon says:

@Bryan yeah but quiting so soon after the sabbatical kinda shows your heart isn’t in it anymore…. for whatever reason…

I am not criticizing you… I m sure you’ll go on to do plenty more great things. and so will LAS….

Anyhow your still on my rss feed and I look forward to whatever you do in the future

73. Dragan Sahpaski says:

Sorry to hear you go Brian.

Please consider coming back when you have the opportunity.

Regards from Macedonia.

74. Joshua Helms says:

Hey Bryan, I gotta say this is a very sad day for me I am a software engineering student and you are the one who peeked my interest in open source development after seeing you on LAS. I would watch you on LAS and think to myself “man…I wanna be like that man one day” don’t get me wrong I still do haha and by no means will I stop following your work but again it is a very sad thing to watch you leave the show. So I will wish you luck in all of your future endeavors and project good luck B-man!!!

75. Dave J says:

I say we start a Kickstarter to get Bryan back on LAS… :P

Gonna miss you, man. LAS was the ONLY podcast I watched. You and Chris actually made Linux interesting and fun.

I know not everyone can do the same thing over and over, year after year. Everyone needs a break. Maybe after some time away, you could come back on the show every now and then?

76. Maxwell says:

Please please please start up a audio podcast of you just rambling about stuff (that would be hilarious!!)… it works for Adam Carolla!

good luck in whatever you decide to do!

77. Harm says:

Real shame to see u go Bman, but a mans gotta do what he has to do. LAS won’t be the same without u, but u know that. I do hope ur considering a farewell show, a lot of fans or hoping for that I’m sure. And it’s the least u deserve for bringing all these years of joy 2 our lives. Never saw the shows live, due to the time differences, but id watch your farewell show, no matter what time.
    All the best 2 u, but u will be missed, in the Linux Action Show.

78. Chris says:

BTW, i bought some of your products (under another mail address). I became aware of your Products through LAS. So, are you sure you want quit on LAS-Marketing? ;)

79. Steven says:

If anyone has watched this show for any amount of time, this announcement shouldn’t have been a shock. I wish you the best, and I hope you gain the ability to focus on your future endeavors to bring you lots of success. Your pragmatic and honest analysis will be missed. You had such a talent for cutting through the zealotry.

Not to mention you really have a great sense of humor

Good Luck! Wish the best to you and your family.

80. Steve Case says:

Hate to see you go, but hope things work out in the time-dimension. Please consider coming back and doing a few spots on LAS or maybe on Coder Radio in the future.

While your spots on LAS were funny and humorous, we newbs with less than 5 years of experience, were able to gain insight into the linux universe in a meaningful and enlightening way.

Thanks for everything!

81. Good luck! says:

Best of luck, sir. It won’t be the Linux Action Show without you.

I’ll miss your epic intros…

ALL THIS WEEEEK ON THE LINUX ACTION SHOOOOOOW…

There’s no way Chris can fill your shoes..

82. Adam says:

I’m sorry to see you leave LAS Bryan, it’s been one of the only podcast/vidcasts I’ve regularly watched for about the last 3 or 4 years, and always found your wit hilarious.

Good luck on your new projects!

Do you think you’ll be completely retiring from video-making, or do you think you might make some more independent vids from time to time on your youtube channel (BryanLunduke) ?

83. Eddie says:

Good luck with your time and endeavors in the future Bryan!

84. Michael Tunnell says:

“And it isn’t about time.” … “The real reason is much simpler than any of that: It’s just time.” – sense, you no make. (I know what you mean, just time to hang it up not about the time involved…but you can see how the wording was weird.)

Every time Bryan was not on LAS I looked at LAS as a chore to watch.

I saw LAS as a fun show for linux nerds. It had all the technical stuff I want but also the fun feel with the banter between Chris and Bryan.

Allan is a great guy and his experiences work great for TechSNAP but he does not have much charisma and at times can be very dull.

Matt is also great in general and his HowTos can be very helpful for all levels…he actually taught me something so that was cool…but as a show host, he is basically a “Yes Man”…and he repeats the same stuff over and over…makes me want to throw my android. “Really? wow…that’s cool” I don’t mind it the first 30 times but after that, holy crap!

So Bryan I think you are essentially breaking the LAS we know and love…it is going to be very hard to replace you as finding someone who is compatible with Chris but also very different and opinionated isn’t an easy task.

You are now negative in the LAS dimension.

Hope you enjoy your new projects and best of luck in your future endeavours.

85. Yamir Raju says:

This has been the saddest news I have heard all year it even tops my break up. I would wake up every sunday early and drag myself out of bed just to make sure I can see the latest show or go back to bed if you wasn’t on that particular eppisode. Back when I first started watching the LAS I became instantly hooked cause of your goofy attitude. I can say no one can replace ya, I like Matt and Chris but without you the show is super dry now and has utterly lost all appeal to me, I just read the Reddit everyday and thats it. I hope ya find whatever it is that your wanting to do in the future, just don’t disappear completly from the face of the Earth because if you do then the Bryan that everyone knew and loved would be dead :-(

86. Roger says:

Bryan, I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you and Chris have done over the years for Linux and the Linux community!

I completely agree with your conclusion – it’s time.

The state of Linux isn’t the same today as it was when you and Chris started LAS back in the days. I therefor completely agree with everyone above that states that the show evolved into something else, where the chemestry between the co-hosts became the show itself. It was certainly entertaining, but I agree it’s time to eighter take it a step forward or step aside. Much like the state of Linux isn’t the same anymore, the same thing probably can be said about the LAS viewers. I for one must admit I sometimes felt – oh no, not another distro review… There’s alot of distro review channels on YouTube, but only one show would ever think of reviewed XMonad! I loved that show!

The discussion you and Chris had a couple of weeks ago that you, and most of your viewers, aren’t the users beeing targeted by distros (anymore) was a true rude awakening moment for me, because neighter am I. It certainly is time for me to spend more time on other things than trying out and discussing if KDE 4.9 is that much better than 4.8 and so on. I don’t care anymore… Let the users that are passionate about that argue about that, because I don’t care if I run the best distro with the best desktop manager, because all that really matters is what is best for me. The show I need now, if any, is the one that helps me make the most of my installation without having to change distro – and Fedora porting Unity shows us that anything is possible – and I really hope that’s the path LAS will take in the future. Matt’s how to guides might be a first step towards that, just like the LAS and TechSNAP crossovers during your sabbatical. I look forward to see what LAS becomes when Matt gets a little bit more comfortable with the not so easy task of filling your shoes.

Six years is a LONG time, and in that time I’ve gone from being somewhat of a newb into a poweruser myself who honestly lately disagreed with you and Chris more often than I agreed with you, but that’s okay. That’s what freedom is all about!

There is no way I would have become the Linux user I am today if it wasn’t for LAS. There is no way I ever can thank you and Chris enough for that, so taking time and writing these words will sadly have to do.

Good luck in the future!

87. Pandora says:

Hi Bryan I only found out today that you had retired am sad to hear that since the chemistry between you and Chris is just priceless, My personal reason for enjoying you being on the show is that like me you see the world differently to everyone else and sometimes just ask why?….. Also I share your sense of humor hehe.

If I met you in real life and maybe I will some day I think we would get on great and build a good friendship. To me your like the Spock or Data of Linux full of great wisdom to share and because of you I have learned quite a bit about Linux and because of the show as a whole I have learned loads bout Ubunto too lol.

I however understand your reasoning for moving onto new pastures change can be good and I know you have lots of your own personal projects and of course your family which is also important not including your goats too :).

I wish you all the best for the future and your endeavors I hope that you will still do some podcasting again at some stage for net is just not the same without you having something to say :).

88. Lunduke.com says:

[...] I retired from the Linux Action Show — over 6 years after founding [...]

89. leftus maximus says:

This is total lame. My girlfriend is giving me freht about my grief about my boring nerd shows again since you left. She let me slide on Las because she thinks you are funny……

90. LebigAnon says:

Hey Bryan!
    A couple of years ago, i went through very dark times. I was out of a job, broke and had health issues. I was quite tempted to take a discreet exit from this world.
    Then i discovered you and Chris, two dudes hanging out on the interwebs being awesome! The show radiated so much fun and nerdiness, well, it just made me happy. It changed the outlook i had on life, and gave me the energy i needed to put my life back on track.
    Linux Action Show saved my life.

Thanks man, and good luck for all your projects.

91. Mike says:

I know this is way late but without you the show is pretty crappy to be honest.

Chris is a good guy but he is just not that knowledgeable about some things which wouldnt be a problem but he also has no problem rambling on about something he knows nothing about as if he did.

On top of that he cant review to save his life. Subjective is just not in his vocabulary. I cant recall a single time he ever reviewed anything and didnt go way out of his way to absolutely love it.

You balanced the show. You didnt speak on a subject unless you actually knew what you where talking about, when reviewing you tried to be subjective and look at things from different angles.

92. Class-- says:

Bryan I HATE YOU!!!!! but in a loving way :)
    I have been waiting to see you coming back on LAS, after watching the latest show today I thought it was time to find out what mad virus/flu you must have contracted to be away for so long. Unfortunately for me I find this post which is just heartbreaking to read. Obviously I have missed everything that lead up to this and I’m getting confused by all the comments about ‘negative feelings’.
    I dont even know what to type as I never do these things but I feel I had to let you know that you will be missed and I, like everyone else, will be intrested in your future endeavours and wish you all the best. Until then I’ll just continue to call you a B*****d for leaving ME!!!!! :)

93. Shane Moore says:

I haven’t been able to find the same joy in watching the show since. No offense to Matt, hes a great guy but he doesn’t have the same energy and dynamic that you and chris have.

If LAS was Batman and Robin.
    You would be Dick Grayson and Matt would be Jason Todd.
    Its just not the same.

I hope you’ll do some guest appearances or come back to it in the future.

94. Lunduke.com says:

[...] I left the Linux Action Show — that really was it.  It was time to move on.  And that still remains the case.  I'm not the [...]

95. Sid says:

Come back, damn it!

Now that’s out of my system, I want to thank you for all the entertainment and knowledge you brought to LAS. It sucks now that you’ve left and your podcast legacy is being tarnished by a less than ideal replacement.

Best of luck for the future.

96. Lunduke.com says:

[...] know what?  I'm bringing it back.  This show is kick-ass and deserves some new episodes.  (When Jupiter Broadcasting and I split up — this is one of the shows I made sure to get in the [...]

97. pinguy says:

So reading between the lines. You basically never got any of the money Chris Fisher made from the show from sponsors. That’s a bit of a d**k move on Chris part as most people watched the show because of you.

But seriously, only hundred bucks for 3 years work.

98. Dhiego Gustavo Rodrigues Silva says:

You are amazing, was great with LAS, and also I was watching “why linux sucks 2012″ and “why linux doesnt suck”, its hard to deal with great minds such as the “fedora guy” and in the end was a great opening mind video.

keep the youtube channel rich with ideas and your work!!

best regards.

99. Hex DSL says:

i know this post is from a while back but as some one who has watched LAS for a while the show benefited from your well thought out and amusingly delivered points of view. its still a great show but there are not many opposing stances taken in recent time.,

Keep up the good work.

100. Anthony Parr says:

Best show ever! I know this post is old, but having watched and listened to every episode I thought I would wold just say that it made a difference in my life. Thanks! Now back get back to writing, I need books to buy!

101. Francisco Røed says:

Miss you on the show, your different viewpoint made for a richer experience!!!