Here we go.
Last month I started talking about some general ideas for what I would like to see in a new software development tool.
And now, I am proud to present, Illumination Software Creator 1.0 Beta 1.
The Illumination Software Creator allows you to visually create your application by linking together colorful building blocks of functionality.
Here is a screenshot of a simple application. You’re typical “Hello World” type of application.
And, of course, much more complex examples are available from the Illumination Examples page (more examples are on the way).
A quick list of what, exactly, makes Illumination so cool:
- Extremely easy to learn. Anyone can develop their own applications without learning C, Java, Python, HTML5, etc.
- Can create software for multiple platforms (and in multiple languages) without any modifications to the project itself. Desktop, hand-held or web… it’s all possible from the same project.
- The user interface designer allows you to tweak the layout of your windows for each platform… without making any modifications to the rest of your project. Great for re-arranging your interface for small devices.
- Generates the full source code for your project. For the experienced developers: this means you get a complete, and highly modular, set of source code files that you can then modify to your hearts content.
Illumination was architected to make it as easy as possible for us to add additional new platform to support. Building applications for Android phones? Adobe Flex/AIR applications? .Net/Mono? WebOS? iPhone? We think this is important.
Version 1.0 will ship with support for three distinct platforms (Desktop, Nokia Tablet, Web). And we don’t plan to slow down.
The retail price for Illumination Software Creator will be $99. During the Beta period it is, of course, completely free to use without limitation.
Up until 1.0 ships, we’re offering a discounted “Early Adopter” price of $29. (A little way of saying “thank you” for helping us with your feedback.)
Things to note before diving in to Beta 1:
- This is very much *beta* software. Some features are not available. Others may be buggy. (Honestly it works quite well, but there are some bugs in there.)
- Beta 1 only has a limited sub-set of blocks and user interface controls available. This allows us to concentrate our testing on critical pieces of functionality first. More controls and feature blocks will appear in Beta 2.
- Beta 1 only runs on Linux. Beta 2 and 3 will bring full support for Windows and MacOS X. If you just can’t wait to try it… install Linux.
- Beta 1 focuses on Desktop Python applications. Internet Tablet and rich web applications will become available in subsequent Beta releases.
- Tutorials are coming soon. For now, the example projects are the best way to explore what Illumination can do.
- If you encounter bugs, or have any feature requests, feel free to post them in the comments here or email them to webmaster [at] radicalbreeze.com
With all that said I won’t hold you any longer. Go. Download Beta 1. Grab a few example projects and experiment.